Sunday, February 8, 2015

I quit!

Around January 16th, Camm and I had this conversation:

  • Me: Oh, Camm! Isn't everything just going so well right now? 
  • Camm: Yeah, things are just fine.
  • Me: No, I mean, really well. The girls are just doing everything right. Work is going perfectly, everything is just great.
  • Camm: um, yeah, I guess so.
  • Me: I mean, I can't believe how well things are going.
  • Camm: You stopped nursing a week ago. That's the only difference.

It wasn't until he pointed it out to me that I realized he was right. Life actually wasn't going that much better - in fact Ivory had been growing her molars and hadn't slept all week. The only difference was me. I wasn't a hormonal basket-case of PPD anymore. It had only been a week since I'd quit giving Ivory the boob, and it had felt like the best week of my life. It's now been a month--and it feels like the best month of my life. I didn't realize I was in the trenches of PPD until I got out of it. Sure, I knew I was stressed. I knew I cried a lot. But I thought I was stressed because I have two little girls, two part time jobs, responsibilities at church, and blah blah blah. I didn't know that if you took the PPD out of it, my life would seem fabulous.

A few weeks ago that Similac commercial went viral with a message to stop the mommy wars.

Then there was a backlash from the lactation gurus saying that it was perpetuating a myth that bottles are as good as boobs and making people feel guilty for speaking their mind when they know that boobs are best.

I know breastmilk is healthier (why else would I have nursed her?).

That being said, I'm with the Similac commercial. Everyone needs to do what's best for their family.

Nursing is great for lots of women who love it. I know that many women love the extra bond with their breastfeeding child. I think that's great!

On the other hand, I don't think it's really necessary for me to be crying all the time. I don't even think that's best for my kids. With both kids I immediately felt better emotionally within days of quitting. I don't think that's a coincidence.

So rather than making everyone do what we think is best, stop the mommy wars!

"This topic of judging others could actually be taught in a two-word sermon. When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following: Stop it! It’s that simple. We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings with a heart full of love for God and His children."--Dieter F. Uchtdorf

PS--Here are some other posts I've had on the topic:
This one was written a few months ago
This one is a humorous post from after I quit nursing Ruby

1 comment:

  1. Name: BroadBase Media
    Your email address: affiliates@broadbasemedia.com
    Subject: Working together.

    Message:
    Hi,

    We manage the Affiliate Program for several websites that we think may be a great fit for you and your audience. These sites include www.ergobaby.com, www.orbitbaby.com and www.skyniceland.com. Please let us know if you would have some time to chat, or shoot us an email and we can discuss further.
    Thank you in advance

    Marc

    ReplyDelete