Thursday, February 2, 2012

My little girl


Dear Ruby,

It is 9:30 at night and you have been asleep for a while.
I begin to miss seeing you giggle.
I walk into the hallway and stand in your doorway.
There you are. You look so peaceful.
You are wearing your brown monkey polka-dot pajamas and somehow look like an angel. I wonder if angels wear monkey pajamas.
Lying on your back, you are sucking on your fingers. I marvel that just eight short months ago you didn’t even know where your fingers were.
Your hair is finally coming in. I see it move as you breathe. You were bald for so long. Soon we may be able to do a pony tail.
I wonder what you are dreaming about. I hope it is a good dream.
I see you stir. I step out of your view so you don’t see me looking.
You roll over and resume your sleep. I marvel again. How did you learn to roll over? You couldn’t do that even 6 months ago.
I realize you are growing up so quickly. I can’t help but feel a little bit sad. What happened to my little baby?
I leave the doorway and thumb through your pictures. You have grown so much.
You are beautiful. You are perfect. You are my baby girl. I love you. I will always love you.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment